Last week, Mr. Dude, my youngest son, turned 9. In honor of him and his awesomeness, I am going to list nine things I love about him.
- The cuddle-factor. Despite his manly, mature age, he is a super-duper cuddler.
- The way he talks. He can be rather tight-lipped at times, but when he’s talking about a subject he is passionate about (Star Wars, Mario, etc.), he can give in-depth detail and dialog with the best of them. There is something about his tone and vocabulary that make me think he will be a lawyer someday.
- He does things on his terms. This can be good or bad. Good in that he doesn’t give in to peer pressure. Bad when you are trying to get him to do things, like when he was potty training.
- He loves God. He seems not to be attentive in church, or even well-behaved sometimes. But he has the love. I can see it in the little things he does.
- His imagination. From the time he was little, he never played much with toys, but he played with stuff. Lately, he has been busy playing with snow shovels. We have no snow now, but I haven’t put them away for the season because he is busy using them for….some kind of play that I don’t understand.
- He is a curious child. He wants to see how things work. Maybe a future engineer?
- Legos are his thing. He has told me numerous times that he wants to be a Lego creator. Even when he has a kit, he doesn’t necessarily follow the directions, but makes it the way he wants. And each creation comes with a story.
- Mr. Dude is one smart dude!
- I love him because of the beautiful creation that God made him to be, full of love, full of wonder, full of joy.